Doering Editions is a fine art printmaking service, offering access to the knowledge and expertise of a master printer to visual artists interested in creating print projects. If you have ever wanted to create a limited edition print or series of prints, we can work with you to make it a reality.
Every project is different, and we will work with you to determine the best way to realize your vision. Doering Editions can come to you, provided a proper print studio is available for the creation of the project. Alternatively, we are based in beautiful Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, and can work with you to arrange for your project to be completed here using excellent, local printmaking facilities.
Every artist works differently. From fellow master printers looking for an experienced hand in the studio to artists completely new to print and needing a guiding hand through the entire process, we will work with you to ensure a smooth creation process.
Regardless of your level of experience with print or your comfort level with the various media available, Maria can help with the production of your prints. Every project is different, but there tend to be three levels of service that are often needed by artists looking to create an edition:
- Studio Assistance: Large print projects often require an extra set of hands, even for experienced printers. Maria has experience working on large projects and can work with you as a studio assistant during print production. She will come to you to assist in your studio, or she can help make arrangements for printing in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
- Master Printer Consultant: For artists who have a clear vision of their project but require assistance with the execution, Maria can partner with you to make it a reality. Through consultation, she will work with you to determine the best medium and a plan of action to produce the edition. Often (but not always), the artist will create the matrix for the print in their own studio with guidance from the master printer, then work together in person to print the edition.
- Full Master Printer Service: For artists who have the image they wish to print and who want to hand off the print production entirely, Maria can work closely with you to ensure that she understands your vision, then handle the execution from matrix to BAT to edition.
Maria is experienced in all traditional printmaking methods, and will work with you to determine the most appropriate medium for your image. Options include:
- letterpress (typesetting and polymer plate)
- lithography (stone, ballgrain and photo plate)
- screen printing
Additionally, Maria has experience on a wide variety of presses and has worked in a variety of different print studios, from the modern and well stocked studio to the empty space converted temporarily for print purposes. She has specific experience with the following presses:
- Dufa offset proofing press
- Mailänder offset press (manual and automated)
- Vandercook letterpress
- standard intaglio press (Charles Brand, French Tool, etc)
- direct lithography presses (Takach, etc)
Contact us today to discuss what you have in mind for your project, and we will be happy to set up a call with you for a no-obligation consultation, including timeframes and budgeting.
Working with Maria Doering of Doering-Editions has proven to be an extremely productive and rewarding professional experience. With our collaboration moving into its third year, I have found her ability to understand and compliment my needs as a trans-disciplinary artist outstanding. A committed and accomplished print artist in her own right, she has been sensitive to my overall aesthetic requirements. Respectful of my artistic intention and vision, she has addressed all questions, difficulties and/or doubts I may bring to the press. Technical challenges and obstacles are met with a cool problem solving head. Through her diligent hard work and her obsession for detail, we have collaboratively developed labour intensive projects from their inception to their successful completion. Her enthusiasm and disciplined organization makes no technical challenge too complex or insurmountable. I have found her personal work ethic to be admirable. A good natured human being, she is a pleasure to work with, complimenting masterful expertise with a healthy sense of humour and pragmatism.